Immigration and multiculturalism are both essential parts of the Canadian identity, which is a concept recognized in the Canadian government, laws, and policies. Canada is built on both multiculturalism and immigration. In recognition of this reality, many Canadians now cite their three founding nations in Canadian history- Aboriginal, French, and English. We have a Ministry of Multiculturalism as well as the Canadian Consultative Council on Multiculturalism.
Many people are just not as fortunate. Many immigrants face racial discrimination and racial-based inequality. This is especially true for visible minorities such as people of Asian descent, or a Muslim woman in a Western country. Their race or culture is easily identifiable either by their physical features or clothing, making them an easy target.
![]() |
| My family, New Year's Eve |
On a personal level, immigration is extremely important to me. Both my parents are immigrants and I am one of the first of my family to be born outside of Hong Kong. I do not judge someone for being an immigrant, or having a darker skin colour, or a lighter skin colour, or their accent. If it weren't for immigration, my life would be completely different. I am a proud Canadian. I am proud to be Chinese. I am proud to say that immigration changed my life and the life of my family. When in doubt, I just remember Shakespeare and how, "All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts," As You Like It (II. vii. 142-154).
Check out these sources if immigration and multiculturalism intrigues you too:
Canadian Immigration Statistics
The Canadian Encyclopedia: Multiculturalism
Globe and Mail: For Canada, immigration is key to prosperity

0 comments:
Post a Comment